National Application Center :: career details :: Fiber Product Cutting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Career Details :: Fiber Product Cutting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Set up and operate machine to cut or slice fiber material, such as paper, wallboard, and insulation material.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Positions materials, such as rubber, paper, or leather, on feeding mechanism of cutting or slicing machine.
- Removes completed materials or products from cutting or slicing machine and stacks or stores for additional processing.
- Reviews work order, blueprints, specifications, or job sample to determine components, settings, and adjustments for cutting and slicing machines.
- Examines, measures, and weighs materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices, such as ruler, micrometer, or scale.
- Adjusts machine controls to position and align, and to regulate speed and pressure of components.
- Activates machine to cut, slice, slit, perforate, or score fiber products, such as paperboard sheets, rubber shoe soles, or plaster wallboard.
- Maintains production records, such as quantity, type, and dimensions of materials produced.
- Monitors operation of cutting or slicing machine to detect malfunctions, removes defective or substandard materials, and readjusts machine components to conform to standards.
- Replaces worn or broken parts, and cleans and lubricates cutting or slicing machine to maintain equipment in working order.
- Selects and installs machine components, such as cutting blades, rollers, and templates, according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Bindery Machine Operators and Tenders
- Buffing and Polishing Set-Up Operators
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Combination Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Metal-Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Numerical Control Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Operators and Tenders
- Plate Finishers
- Sawing Machine Tool Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Welding Machine Operators and Tenders
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Product Inspection
- Equipment Maintenance
- Equipment Selection
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Consequence of Error
- Hazardous Equipment
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls