National Application Center :: career details :: Gas Processing Plant Operators
Career Details :: Gas Processing Plant Operators
Control equipment, such as compressors, evaporators, heat exchangers, and refrigeration equipment to process gas for utility companies and for industrial use.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Signals or directs workers tending auxiliary equipment.
- Calculates gas ratios, using testing apparatus, to detect deviations from specifications.
- Observes pressure, temperature, level, and flow gauges to ensure standard operation.
- Adjusts temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of gas, according to test results and knowledge of process and equipment.
- Controls fractioning columns, compressors, purifying towers, heat exchangers, and related equipment, to extract nitrogen and oxygen from air.
- Records gauge readings and test results.
- Tests oxygen for purity and moisture content at various stages of process, using burette and moisture meter.
- Controls operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
- Reads logsheet to ascertain demand and disposition of product or to detect equipment malfunctions.
- Cleans and repairs equipment, using hand tools.
- Auxiliary Equipment Operators, Power
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Gas Compressor Operators
- Gas Distribution Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Stationary Engineers
General Work Activities
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Repairing & Maintaining Mechanical Equipment
- Documenting/Recording Information
Frequent Work Context
- Consequence of Error
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Degree of Automation
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done