National Application Center :: career details :: Sawing Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Career Details :: Sawing Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Set up or set up and operate wood-sawing machines. Examine blueprints, drawings, work orders, and patterns to determine size and shape of items to be sawed, sawing machines to set up, and sequence of sawing operations.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Pulls table back against stops and depresses pedal to advance cutter head that shapes end of stock.
- Adjusts angle of table by turning handwheel, and bolts or clamps holding jigs to table.
- Selects knives to achieve specified diameter of cut, or installs bit and dado saw according to work ticket.
- Aligns and bolts knives in cutter head and screws it on spindle, using wrenches.
- Places stock in jig and pushes table containing stock into saw or lays stock on conveyor that carries it into machine.
- Engraver Set-Up Operators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plate Finishers
- Punching Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Tire Builders
- Woodworking Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Except Sawing
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Equipment Selection
- Operation and Control
- Reading Comprehension
- Product Inspection
- Operation Monitoring
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Hazardous Equipment
- Hazardous Equipment
- Hazardous Situations