National Application Center :: career details :: Nonelectrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
Career Details :: Nonelectrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
Set up or set up and operate nonelectrolytic plating or coating machines, such as hot-dip lines and metal-spraying machines, to coat metal or plastic products or parts with metal.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Installs gears and holding devices on conveyor equipment.
- Inspects coated products for defects and specified color and coverage.
- Measures and sets stops, rolls, brushes, and guides on automatic feeder and conveying equipment or coating machines, using micrometer, rule, and hand tools.
- Attaches nozzle, positions gun, connects hoses, and threads wire to set up metal-spraying machine.
- Reads production schedule to determine setup of equipment and machines.
- Ignites gun and adjusts controls to regulate wire feed, air pressure, and flow of oxygen and fuel to operate metal-spraying machine.
- Preheats workpieces in oven.
- Operates sandblasting equipment to roughen and clean surface of workpieces.
- Operates hoist to place workpieces onto machine feed carriage or spindle.
- Adjusts controls to synchronize equipment speed with speed of coating or spraying machine.
- Mixes alodize solution in tank of machine, according to formula, and verifies solution concentration, using gauge.
- Adjusts controls to set temperatures of coating substance and adjusts speeds of machines and equipment.
- Positions workpieces, starts operation of machines and conveyors, and feeds workpieces into machines to be coated.
- Aircraft Rigging Assemblers
- Cementing and Gluing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Design Printing Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Engraver Set-Up Operators
- Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Pantograph Engravers
- Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Plate Finishers
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Consequence of Error
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls