National Application Center :: career details :: Heaters, Metal and Plastic
Career Details :: Heaters, Metal and Plastic
Operate or tend heating equipment, such as soaking pits, reheating furnaces, and heating and vacuum equipment, to heat metal sheets, blooms, billets, bars, plate, and rods to a specified temperature for rolling or processing, or to heat and cure preformed plastic parts.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Pushes cart to curing oven or places part in autoclave.
- Starts conveyors and opens furnace doors to load stock, or signals crane operator to uncover soaking pits and lower ingots into them.
- Adjusts controls to maintain temperature and heating time, using thermal instruments and charts, dials and gauges of furnace, and color of stock.
- Records time and production data.
- Signals coworker to charge steel into furnace.
- Places part on cart, connects vacuum line to tube, and smoothes bag around part to ensure vacuum.
- Sets oven controls or turns air-pressure valve or autoclave.
- Ignites furnace with torch, and turns valve to regulate flow of fuel and air to burners.
- Positions stock in furnace, using tongs, chain hoist, or pry bar.
- Positions plastic sheet and mold in plastic bag, heats material under lamps, and forces confrontation of sheet to mold by vacuum pressure.
- Removes material from furnace, using crane, or signals crane operator to transfer to next station.
- Removes stock from furnace, using cold rod, tongs, or chain hoist, and places stock on conveyor for transport to work area.
- Impregnates fabric with plastic resins and cuts fabric into strips.
- Assists workers in repairing, replacing, cleaning, lubricating, or adjusting furnace equipment, using hand tools.
- Adjusts controls to synchronize speed of feed and takeoff conveyors of furnace.
- Positions part in plastic bag and seals bag with iron.
- Removes part and cuts away plastic bag.
- Inserts vacuum tube into bag and seals bag around tube with tape.
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Nonelectrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Precision Mold and Pattern Casters, except Nonferrous Metals
General Work Activities
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Repairing & Maintaining Mechanical Equipment
Frequent Work Context
- Consequence of Error
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Degree of Automation