National Application Center :: career details :: Welding Machine Operators and Tenders
Career Details :: Welding Machine Operators and Tenders
Operate or tend welding machines that join or bond together components to fabricate metal products and assemblies, according to specifications and blueprints.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Enters operating instructions into computer to adjust and start welding machine.
- Observes and listens to welding machine and its controls to ensure welding process meets specifications.
- Cleans and maintains workpieces and welding machine parts, using hand tools and equipment.
- Operates or tends welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products and assemblies.
- Transfers components, metal products, and assemblies, using moving equipment.
- Turns and presses knobs and buttons to adjust and start welding machine.
- Reads production schedule and specifications to ascertain product to be fabricated.
- Inspects metal workpiece to ensure specifications are met, using measuring devices.
- Tends auxiliary equipment used in the welding process.
- Stops and opens holding device on welding machine, using hand tools.
- Adds chemicals or solutions to welding machine to join or bind components.
- Positions and adjusts fixtures, attachments, or workpiece on machine, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Bindery Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Combination Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Operators and Tenders
- Fiber Product Cutting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Heat-Treating, Annealing, and Tempering Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Metal-Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Numerical Control Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Product Inspection
- Equipment Selection
- Equipment Maintenance
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Pace Determined by Speed of Equipment
- Hazardous Equipment