National Application Center :: career details :: Welding Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Career Details :: Welding Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Set up or set up and operate welding machines that join or bond together components to fabricate metal products or assemblies, according to specifications and blueprints.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Tends auxiliary equipment used in welding process.
- Devises and builds fixtures used to bond components during the welding process.
- Observes and listens to welding machine and its gauges to ensure welding process meets specifications.
- Examines metal product or assemblies to ensure specifications are met.
- Feeds workpiece into welding machine to join or bond components.
- Stops and opens holding device on welding machine, using hand tools.
- Adds components, chemicals, and solutions to welding machine, using hand tools.
- Tests products and records test results and operational data on specified forms.
- Operates welding machine to produce trial workpieces, used to examine and test.
- Cleans and maintains workpieces and welding machine parts, using hand tools and equipment.
- Lays out, fits, or tacks workpieces together, using hand tools.
- Positions and adjusts fixtures, attachments, or workpieces on machine, using hand tools.
- Sets up and operates welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products or assemblies.
- Turns and presses controls, such as cranks, knobs, and buttons to adjust and activate welding process.
- Bindery Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Combination Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Fiber Product Cutting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Heat-Treating, Annealing, and Tempering Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Metal-Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Numerical Control Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Operators and Tenders
- Sawing Machine Tool Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Hazardous Equipment
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Consequence of Error