National Application Center :: career details :: Telecommunications Facility Examiners
Career Details :: Telecommunications Facility Examiners
Examine telephone transmission facilities to determine equipment requirements for providing subscribers with new or additional telephone services.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Climbs telephone poles or stands on truck-mounted boom to examine terminal boxes for available connections.
- Designates cables available for use.
- Examines telephone transmission facilities to determine requirements for new or additional telephone services.
- Visits subscribers' premises to arrange for new installations, such as telephone booths and telephone poles.
- Central Office and PBX Installers and Repairers
- Communication Equipment Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Frame Wirers, Central Office
- Station Installers and Repairers, Telephone
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
General Work Activities
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Product Inspection
- Equipment Selection
- Information Gathering
- Technology Design
- Problem Identification
Frequent Work Context
- Consequence of Error
- Provide a Service to Others
- Deal With External Customers
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- High Places