National Application Center :: career details :: General Farmworkers
Career Details :: General Farmworkers
Apply pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer to crops and livestock; plant, maintain, and harvest food crops; and tend livestock and poultry. Repair farm buildings and fences. Duties may include: operating milking machines and other dairy processing equipment; supervising seasonal help; irrigating crops; and hauling livestock products to market.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Digs and transplants seedlings by hand.
- Operates truck to haul livestock and products to market.
- Operates tractors, tractor-drawn machinery, and self-propelled machinery to plow, harrow and fertilize soil, and plant, cultivate, spray, and harvest crops.
- Cleans barns, stables, pens, and kennels.
- Oversees casual and seasonal help during planting and harvesting.
- Feeds, waters, grooms, and otherwise cares for livestock and poultry.
- Administers simple medications to animals and fowls.
- Loads agricultural products into trucks for transport.
- Sets up and operates irrigation equipment.
- Repairs farm buildings, fences, and other structures.
- Clears and maintains irrigation ditches.
- Repairs and maintains farm vehicles, implements, and mechanical equipment.
- Harvests fruits and vegetables by hand.
- Agricultural Equipment Operators
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Farmers and Ranchers
- Farmworkers, Farm and Ranch Animals
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Agricultural Crop Workers
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Animal Husbandry Workers
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Fishery Workers
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
General Work Activities
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Repairing & Maintaining Mechanical Equipment
- Operating Vehicles or Equipment
- Controlling Machines and Processes
Frequent Work Context
- Consequence of Error
- Frustrating Circumstances
- Hazardous Equipment