National Application Center :: career details :: Nursery Workers
Career Details :: Nursery Workers
Work in nursery facilities or at customer location planting, cultivating, harvesting, and transplanting trees, shrubs, or plants.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Plants, sprays, weeds, and waters plants, shrubs, and trees, using hand tools and gardening tools.
- Traps and destroys pests, such as moles, gophers, and mice, using pesticides.
- Inspects bud tie to ensure quality.
- Sows grass seed or plants plugs of grass and cuts, rolls, and stacks sod.
- Digs, rakes, and screens soil and fills cold frames and hot beds to prepare them for planting.
- Fills growing tanks with water.
- Moves containerized shrubs, plants, and trees, using wheelbarrow.
- Cuts and opens incision in rootstock, using budding knife, and inserts and ties bud.
- Dips rose cuttings into vat to disinfect prior to storage.
- Hauls and spreads topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition soil, using wheelbarrow or cart and shovel.
- Ties, bunches, wraps roots, and packs flowers, plants, shrubs, and trees to fill orders.
- Folds and staples corrugated forms to make boxes used for packing horticultural products.
- Farmworkers, Farm and Ranch Animals
- Hunters and Trappers
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
General Work Activities
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Judging Qualities of Things, Service, People
- Implementing Ideas, Programs, etc.
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
Frequent Work Context
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Provide a Service to Others
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done