National Application Center :: career details :: Data Entry Keyers
Career Details :: Data Entry Keyers
Operate data entry device, such as keyboard or photo-composing perforator. Duties may include verifying data and preparing materials for printing.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Enters data from source documents into computer or onto tape or disk for subsequent entry, using keyboard or scanning device.
- Compares data entered with source documents.
- Loads machine with required input or output media, such as paper, cards, disk, tape, or Braille media.
- Deletes incorrectly entered data.
- Resolves garbled or indecipherable messages, using cryptographic procedures and equipment.
- Files completed documents.
- Re-enters data in verification format to detect errors.
- Compiles, sorts, and verifies accuracy of data to be entered.
- Keeps record of completed work.
- Selects materials needed to complete work assignment.
- Billing, Posting, and Calculating Machine Operators
- Correspondence Clerks
- File Clerks
- Word Processors and Typists
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Processing Information
- Interacting With Computers
- Evaluating Information Against Standards
- Documenting/Recording Information
- Reading Comprehension
- Product Inspection
- Problem Identification
- Information Organization
- Operation and Control
Frequent Work Context
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Importance of Repeating Same Tasks