National Application Center :: career details :: Telemarketers
Career Details :: Telemarketers
Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Sets up and displays sample merchandise at parties or stands.
- Orders or purchases supplies and stocks cart or stand.
- Circulates among potential customers or travels by foot, truck, automobile, or bicycle to deliver or sell merchandise or services.
- Maintains records of accounts and orders and develops prospect lists.
- Distributes product samples or literature that details products or services.
- Writes orders for merchandise or enters order into computer.
- Contacts customers by phone, mail, or in person to offer or persuade them to purchase merchandise or services.
- Arranges buying party and solicits sponsorship of parties to sell merchandise.
- Delivers merchandise, serves customer, collects money, and makes change.
- Explains products or services and prices and demonstrates use of products.
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Driver/Sales Workers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Retail Salespersons
- Sales Representatives, Agricultural
- Sales Representatives, Instruments
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Medical
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Monitoring and Controlling Resources
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Provide a Service to Others