National Application Center :: career details :: Sales Engineers
Career Details :: Sales Engineers
Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.
A bachelor's degree is the minimum formal education required for these occupations. However, many also require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.
- Reviews customer documents to develop and prepare cost estimates or projected production increases from use of proposed equipment or services.
- Designs and drafts variations of standard products in order to meet customer needs.
- Provides technical training to employees of client.
- Diagnoses problems with equipment installed.
- Assists in development of custom-made machinery.
- Draws up or proposes changes in equipment, processes, materials, or services resulting in cost reduction or improvement in customer operations.
- Assists sales force in sale of company products.
- Calls on management representatives at commercial, industrial, and other establishments to convince prospective client to buy products or services offered.
- Draws up sales or service contract for products or services.
- Arranges for trial installations of equipment.
- Demonstrates and explains product or service to customer representatives, such as engineers, architects, and other professionals.
- Provides technical services to clients relating to use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants
- Commercial and Industrial Designers
- Engineering Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Parts Salespersons
- Sales Representatives, Instruments
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Medical
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Updating & Using Job-Relevant Knowledge
- Provide Consultation & Advice to Others
- Drafting & Specifying Technical Devices, etc.
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Provide a Service to Others
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information