National Application Center :: career details :: Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
Career Details :: Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
Sell mechanical equipment, machinery, materials, and supplies, such as aircraft and railroad equipment and parts, construction machinery, material-handling equipment, industrial machinery, and welding equipment.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Arranges for installation and test-operation of machinery and recommends solutions to product-related problems.
- Inspects establishment premises to verify installation feasibility and obtains building blueprints and elevator specifications to submit to engineering department for bid.
- Computes installation or production costs, estimates savings, and prepares and submits bid specifications to customer for review and approval.
- Recommends and sells textile, industrial, construction, railroad, and oil field machinery, equipment, materials, and supplies, and services utilizing knowledge of machine operations.
- Demonstrates and explains use of installed equipment and production processes.
- Appraises equipment and verifies customer credit rating to establish trade-in value and contract terms.
- Attends sales and trade meetings and reads related publications to obtain current market condition information, business trends, and industry developments.
- Reviews existing machinery/equipment placement and diagrams proposal to illustrate efficient space utilization, using standard measuring devices and templates.
- Submits orders for product and follows up on order to verify material list accuracy and delivery schedule meets project deadline.
- Contacts current and potential customers, visits establishments to evaluate needs, and promotes sale of products and services.
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Sales Representatives, Agricultural
- Sales Representatives, Instruments
- Sales Representatives, Medical
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Processing Information
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Provide a Service to Others