National Application Center :: career details :: Manicurists and Pedicurists
Career Details :: Manicurists and Pedicurists
Clean and shape customers' fingernails and toenails. May polish or decorate nails.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Removes previously applied nail polish, using liquid remover and swabs.
- Shapes and smoothes ends of nails, using scissors, files, and emery boards.
- Applies clear or colored liquid polish onto nails with brush.
- Roughens surfaces of fingernails, using abrasive wheel.
- Attaches paper forms to tips of customer's fingers to support and shape artificial nails.
- Softens nail cuticles with water and oil, pushes back cuticles, using cuticle knife, and trims cuticles, using scissors or nippers.
- Whitens underside of nails with white paste or pencil.
- Removes paper forms and shapes and smoothes edges of nails, using rotary abrasive wheel.
- Brushes coats of powder and solvent onto nails and paper forms with hand brush to maintain nail appearance and to extend nails to desired length.
- Polishes nails, using powdered polish and buffer.
- Forms artificial fingernails on customer's fingers.
- Cleans customers' nails in soapy water, using swabs, files, and orange sticks.
- Cooks, Short Order
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
General Work Activities
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Assisting and Caring for Others
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Deal With External Customers
- Provide a Service to Others