National Application Center :: career details :: Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Career Details :: Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May also apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Cuts, trims, and shapes hair or hairpieces, using clippers, scissors, trimmers, and razors.
- Attaches wig or hairpiece to model head and dresses wigs and hairpieces according to instructions, samples, sketches, or photographs.
- Massages and treats scalp for hygienic and remedial purposes, using hands, fingers, or vibrating equipment.
- Analyzes patron's hair and other physical features or reads makeup instructions to determine and recommend beauty treatment.
- Updates and maintains customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Cleans, shapes, and polishes fingernails and toenails, using files and nail polish.
- Shapes and colors eyebrows or eyelashes and removes facial hair, using depilatory cream and tweezers.
- Recommends and applies cosmetics, lotions, and creams to patron to soften and lubricate skin and enhance and restore natural appearance.
- Administers therapeutic medication and advises patron to seek medical treatment for chronic or contagious scalp conditions.
- Combs, brushes, and sprays hair or wigs to set style.
- Shampoos, rinses, and dries hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Bleaches, dyes, or tints hair, using applicator or brush.
- Applies water, setting, or waving solutions to hair and winds hair on curlers or rollers.
- Floral Designers
- Food Preparation Workers
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Assisting and Caring for Others
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Provide a Service to Others
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information