National Application Center :: career details :: Barbers
Career Details :: Barbers
Provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, shampooing, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Cuts, shapes, trims, and tapers hair, using clippers, comb, blow-out gun, and scissors.
- Drapes and pins protective cloth around customer's shoulders.
- Orders supplies.
- Records service on ticket or receives payment.
- Cleans work area and works tools.
- Sells lotions, tonics, or other cosmetic supplies.
- Applies lather and shaves beard or shapes hair contour (outline) on temple and neck, using razor.
- Performs other tonsorial services, such as applying hairdressings or lotions, dyeing, shampooing, singeing, or styling hair, and massaging face, neck, or scalp.
- Questions patron regarding services and style of haircut desired.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Cooks, Short Order
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Manicurists and Pedicurists
General Work Activities
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Provide a Service to Others
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information