National Application Center :: career details :: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
Career Details :: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
Perform surgery on mouth, jaws, and related head and neck structure to execute difficult and multiple extractions of teeth, to remove tumors and other abnormal growths, to correct abnormal jaw relations by mandibular or maxillary revision, to prepare mouth for insertion of dental prosthesis, or to treat fractured jaws.
Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.
A bachelor's degree is the minimum formal education required for these occupations. However, many also require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.
- Executes difficult and multiple extraction of teeth.
- Removes tumors and other abnormal growths, using surgical instruments.
- Performs preprosthetic surgery to prepare mouth for insertion of dental prosthesis.
- Corrects abnormal jaw relations by mandibular or maxillary revision.
- Administers general and local anesthetics.
- Treats fractures of jaws.
- Dentists, General
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Physician Assistants
General Work Activities
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Assisting and Caring for Others
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Handling and Moving Objects
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Consequence of Error
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Provide a Service to Others
|Major (A) Associate (B) Bachelors (C) Certificate (D) Doctor (M) Master||Add to MyPortfolio|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology (M)|
|Oral Biology/Maxillofacial Pathology (D)|