National Application Center :: career details :: Cartoonists
Career Details :: Cartoonists
Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques, such as painting and sculpture.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Sketches and submits cartoon or animation for approval.
- Labels each section with designated colors when colors are used.
- Develops color patterns and moods and paints background layouts to dramatize action for animated cartoon scenes.
- Discusses ideas for cartoons, comic strips, or animations with editor or publisher's representative.
- Renders sequential drawings of characters or other subject material which when photographed and projected at specific speed becomes animated.
- Creates and prepares sketches and model drawings of characters, providing details from memory, live models, manufactured products, or reference material.
- Develops personal ideas for cartoons, comic strips, or animations, or reads written material to develop ideas.
- Makes changes and corrections to cartoon, comic strip, or animation as necessary.
- Costume Attendants
- Film and Video Editors
- Floral Designers
- Graphic Designers
- Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
- Painters and Illustrators
- Sketch Artists
General Work Activities
- Thinking Creatively
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Implementing Ideas, Programs, etc.
- Communicating With Other Workers
Frequent Work Context
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Frustrating Circumstances