National Application Center :: career details :: Teacher Assistants
Career Details :: Teacher Assistants
Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Presents subject matter to students, using lecture, discussion, or supervised role-playing methods.
- Helps students, individually or in groups, with lesson assignments to present or reinforce learning concepts.
- Plans, prepares, and develops various teaching aids, such as bibliographies, charts, and graphs.
- Prepares, administers, and grades examinations.
- Confers with parents on progress of students.
- Discusses assigned teaching area with classroom teacher to coordinate instructional efforts.
- Prepares lesson outline and plan in assigned area and submits outline to teacher for review.
- Dietetic Technicians
- Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Health Educators
- Vocational Education Teachers Postsecondary
General Work Activities
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Communicating With Other Workers
- Teaching Others
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Deal With External Customers
- Provide a Service to Others