National Application Center :: career details :: Park Naturalists
Career Details :: Park Naturalists
Plan, develop, and conduct programs to inform public of historical, natural, and scientific features of national, state, or local park.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Conducts field trips to point out scientific, historic, and natural features of park.
- Constructs historical, scientific, and nature visitor-center displays.
- Surveys park to determine forest conditions.
- Plans and organizes activities of seasonal staff members.
- Performs emergency duties to protect human life, government property, and natural features of park.
- Maintains official park photographic and information files.
- Surveys park to determine distribution and abundance of fauna and flora.
- Takes photographs and motion pictures to illustrate lectures and publications and to develop displays.
- Prepares and presents illustrated lectures of park features.
- Plans and develops audiovisual devices for public programs.
- Confers with park staff to determine subjects to be presented to public.
- Interviews specialists in desired fields to obtain and develop data for park information programs.
- Animal Trainers
- Dietetic Technicians
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Museum Technicians and Conservators
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Residential Advisors
General Work Activities
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Teaching Others
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Responsible for Others' Health & Safety
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Deal With External Customers
- Provide a Service to Others