National Application Center :: career details :: Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
Career Details :: Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
Buy merchandise or commodities, other than farm products, for resale to consumers at the wholesale or retail level, including both durable and nondurable goods. Analyze past buying trends, sales records, price, and quality of merchandise to determine value and yield. Select, order, and authorize payment for merchandise according to contractual agreements. May conduct meetings with sales personnel and introduce new products.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Examines, selects, orders, and purchases merchandise from suppliers or other merchants.
- Inspects, grades, or approves merchandise or products to determine value or yield.
- Authorizes payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Conducts staff meetings with sales personnel to introduce new merchandise.
- Approves advertising materials.
- Provides clerks with information, such as price, markups or markdowns, manufacturer number, season code, and style number to print on price tags.
- Trains purchasing or sales personnel.
- Arranges for transportation of purchases.
- Sets or recommends markup rates, markdown rates, and selling prices for merchandise.
- Analyzes sales records and trends to determine current or expected demand and minimum inventory required.
- Confers with sales and purchasing personnel to obtain information about customer needs and preferences.
- Consults with store or merchandise managers about budget and goods to be purchased.
- Market Research Analysts
- Public Relations Specialists
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
General Work Activities
- Communicating With Other Workers
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Monitoring and Controlling Resources
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Analyzing Data or Information
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Consequence of Error
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Frustrating Circumstances