National Application Center :: career details :: Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
Career Details :: Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
Plan, organize, direct, control, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, flowers, mushrooms, and other plants.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Manages nursery to grow horticultural plants for sale to trade or retail customers, for display or exhibition, or for research.
- Confers with horticultural personnel in planning facility renovations or additions.
- Negotiates contracts for lease of lands or trucks or for purchase of trees.
- Coordinates clerical, record-keeping, inventory, requisition, and marketing activities.
- Tours work areas to observe work being done, to inspect crops, and to evaluate plant and soil conditions.
- Determines type and quantity of horticultural plants to be grown, such as trees, shrubs, flowers, ornamental plants, or vegetables, based on budget, projected sales volume, or executive directive.
- Grows horticultural plants under controlled conditions hydroponically.
- Selects and purchases seed, plant nutrients, and disease-control chemicals.
- Considers such factors as whether plants need hothouse/greenhouse or natural weather growing conditions.
- Hires workers and directs supervisors and workers planting seeds, controlling plant growth and disease, potting, or cutting plants for marketing.
- Dietetic Technicians
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Animal Care Workers, Except Livestock
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors of Landscaping Workers
- Range Managers
General Work Activities
- Guiding, Directing & Motivating Subordinates
- Monitoring and Controlling Resources
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Coordinating Work & Activities of Others
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Management of Personnel Resources
- Implementation Planning
- Time Management
- Judgment and Decision Making
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Coordinate or Lead Others
- Responsibility for Outcomes and Results
- Provide a Service to Others