National Application Center :: career details :: Sales Managers
Career Details :: Sales Managers
Direct the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Directs and coordinates activities involving sales of manufactured goods, service outlets, technical services, operating retail chain, and advertising services for publication.
- Analyzes marketing potential of new and existing store locations, sales statistics, and expenditures to formulate policy.
- Confers or consults with department heads to plan advertising services, secure information on appliances and equipment, and meet customer-required specifications.
- Advises dealers and distributors on policies and operating procedures to ensure functional effectiveness of business.
- Visits franchised dealers to stimulate interest in establishment or expansion of leasing programs.
- Confers with potential customers regarding equipment needs and advises customers on types of equipment to purchase.
- Represents company at trade association meetings to promote products.
- Inspects premises of assigned stores for adequate security exits and compliance with safety codes and ordinances.
- Directs product research and development.
- Directs conversion of products from USA to foreign standards.
- Resolves customer complaints regarding sales and service.
- Directs clerical staff to maintain export correspondence, bid requests, and credit collections and current information on tariffs, licenses, and restrictions.
- Directs foreign sales and service outlets of organization.
- Reviews operational records and reports to project sales and determine profitability.
- Plans and directs staffing, training, and performance evaluations to develop and control sales and service programs.
- Directs, coordinates, and reviews activities in sales and service accounting and record keeping, and receiving and shipping operations.
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Lodging Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Provide Consultation & Advice to Others
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Guiding, Directing & Motivating Subordinates
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Responsibility for Outcomes and Results
- Consequence of Error
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done