National Application Center :: career details :: Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Career Details :: Plastic Molding and Casting Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
Set up or set up and operate plastic molding machines, such as compression or injection molding machines, to mold, form, or cast thermoplastic materials to specified shape.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Reads specifications to determine setup and prescribed temperature and time settings to mold, form, or cast plastic materials.
- Trims excess material from part, using knife, and grinds scrap plastic into powder for reuse.
- Observes and adjusts machine setup and operations to eliminate production of defective parts and products.
- Positions, aligns, and secures assembled mold, mold components, and machine accessories onto machine press bed, and attaches connecting lines.
- Installs dies onto machine or press and coats dies with parting agent, according to work order specifications.
- Sets machine controls to regulate molding temperature, volume, pressure, and time, according to knowledge of plastics and molding procedures.
- Presses button or pulls lever to activate machine to inject dies and compress compounds to form and cure specified products.
- Measures and visually inspects products for surface and dimension defects, using precision measuring instruments, to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Mixes catalysts, thermoplastic materials, and coloring pigments according to formula, using paddle and mixing machine.
- Weighs premixed compounds and dumps compound into die well or fills hoppers of machines that automatically supply compound to die.
- Repairs and maintains machines and auxiliary equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Removes finished or cured product from dies or mold, using hand tools and air hose.
- Casting Machine Set-Up Operators
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Design Printing Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Honing, Lapping, and Deburring Machine Set-Up Operators
- Nonelectrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Numerical Control Machine Tool Operators and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Soldering and Brazing Machine Operators and Tenders
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Repairing & Maintaining Mechanical Equipment
Frequent Work Context
- Degree of Automation
- Consequence of Error
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Pace Determined by Speed of Equipment