National Application Center :: career details :: Foundry Mold and Coremakers
Career Details :: Foundry Mold and Coremakers
Make or form wax or sand cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Moves and positions workpieces, such as mold sections, patterns, and bottom boards, using cranes, or signals others to move workpieces.
- Sprinkles or sprays parting agent onto pattern and mold sections, to facilitate removal of pattern from mold.
- Cleans and smoothes molds, cores, and core boxes, and repairs surface imperfections.
- Cuts spouts, runner holes, and sprue holes into mold.
- Sifts sand and packs sand into mold sections, core box, and pattern contours, using hand or pneumatic ramming tools.
- Operates ovens to bake cores or furnaces to melt, skim, and flux metal.
- Forms and assembles slab cores around pattern and positions wire in mold sections to reinforce mold, using hand tools and glue.
- Positions cores into lower section of mold and reassembles mold for pouring.
- Pours molten metal into mold, manually or using crane ladle.
- Rotates sweep board around spindle to make symmetrical molds for convex impressions.
- Positions patterns inside mold sections and clamps sections together.
- Lifts upper mold section from lower and removes molded patterns.
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Electrolytic Plating and Coating Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Mold Makers, Hand
- Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Soldering and Brazing Machine Operators and Tenders
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
Frequent Work Context
- Common Protective or Safety Attire
- Consequence of Error
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Degree of Automation